Monday 5 July 2010

Spiral Flowers with Crate Brook

I've seen several examples of some lovely paper flowers around the web, and finally stumbled across how to make them, so I thought I'd share my own little tutorial with you.

They need to be made using double-sided papers, and the Brook collection from Crate Paper that I received was perfect.

First cut a square of paper - I cut mine to 3x3", which will give you a flower of around 1 1/2", but of course you can make them larger or smaller. Starting at the outside, draw a lightly pencilled spiral to fill the square, keeping your lines fairly close together, quarter of an inch at the most (bear in mind this is the height your flower will be when finished):



Then cut out your spiral almost to the centre:



Now start rolling the spiral as shown, quite tightly - you can roll either side of the paper according to which colour/design you want showing on your flower:



When you have rolled all the way to the centre, you can let go of the flower, and it should stay in a looser but neat circle:



If you don't cut all the way to the centre, you are left with a little disc which can become a base for the flower to sit on, a little adhesive will help the spiral stay put on this base, and it also provides a surface to adhere it to your project:



I made two flowers and used them on this layout about my cheeky monkey:







I used several patterns from this lovely collection, and added a title using some foam AC Thickers, finishing off with some Basic Grey adhesive pearls.

Why not give these simple-but-effective flowers a try? Don't forget to let us know if you do, we'd love to see!

1 comment:

Deana said...

Love those flowers! Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely going to try this!