Monday 31 October 2016

Simple Stories - The Reset Girl - Part 1

Hello friends, it's Lynn with you today; I'm pleased to bring you the first of two blog posts to show what I have been busy making with the amazing new The Reset Girl papers from Simple Stories.

My mother (Mary) was a dedicated follower of fashion in the 1950's and as an accomplished dressmaker made all her own dresses. The papers reminded me of some early photos of her, so I picked just a few of the many snaps my father took to make this wall hanging using three embroidery hoops.


To make a base to work on I took three embroidery hoops and cut circles of thick card the same size of the inner hoop, sticking these into place to make a firm surface. A circle of patterned paper was cut to the same size as the card and glued into place over the card. Then the hoops were mounted over each other using some strong glue.


10" Hoop - Like A Boss paper
8" Hoop - Pink Speckle / Coral Speckle paper
6" Hoop - You Got This paper

These and other elements were inked around the edges with Distress Inks in dried marigold and weathered wood.

I searched the web for images of vintage dress patterns which I printed onto paper and cut to size. The button cards were found on a blog called A Field Journal, these were printed onto a thick card and after cutting them out I stitched on buttons selected from my grandmother's button tin.

I used a Library Card from The Reset Girl collection to print out a quote from Yves St. Laurent: 

"Fashions Fade, Style is Eternal,"
           
American Craft foam Thickers were used to create the smaller letters for the title. The larger letters are some old chipboard letters from my stash. I painted the letters with Distress Paint in antique linen and forest moss, then a heavy layer of Glossy Accents. The numbers for the date are Basic Grey Letter stickers from the Obscure collection. 

Keeping with the stitching theme I added three card floss bobbins with DMC thread wound round in colours to match the papers. There are also buttons, glass headed pins, ribbons, lace and other trimmings added to the wall hanging.

Finally I added a variety of paper roses and punched leaves from the scraps of paper leftover. The leaves were made with a Martha Stewart Frond Branch punch. 



I will be back early next month with another project focusing on the planning elements in these stunning papers.
Thanks for looking.
Lynn x

No comments: